Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Flashbacks and Giving Thanks

Woohoo-yay for Thanksgiving weekend!! Our bags are packed, chores are done and we are ready to go. My hair is wet as I'm typing this, and I had a million other things I wanted to do during my limited hours of coveted "naptime." But I am scheduled to work tomorrow, we will probably not make it to Idaho until the turkey is gone, and the thankful celebrations are over. My mind couldn't stop begging me to come to my little blog world, and write a cliche post about some of the things I am so very grateful for.

I am grateful for a job that I love. I am thankful for the patients and families who I meet everyday. I am thankful for Thanksgiving in that place where miracles really do happen.
I am thankful for the families who step away from a bedside for just a few short hours and eat their turkey at a table with a sad heart and an empty chair, but yet they are counting their blessings, and they come back happy.
I am thankful for the families who eat Thanksgiving dinner in a quiet PCMC cafeteria with a wheel chair pulled up to the table, and IV pole beeping halfway through dinner. I am thankful for the families who cram as many siblings as they can into a room to eat their turkey around a hospital bed.
I am even thankful for the patients who have no visitors on Thanksgiving. They are obviously special little people in their own right, who have more strength in life then I could ever have.
I am thankful for my newest cousin Dylan, who lost his twin brother and who is spending his first Thanksgiving in the NICU. I am thankful that he is a 4 pound huge giant miracle to his mom, because she just so happens to be one of my very favorite people in this world. I am grateful that he and I will be together under the same roof tomorrow, so that we both know we are close to family for the day. I am grateful that I can go peek at him after I eat my turkey before I rush back to work.
I am thankful for Primary Children's Hospital. I don't always love working, but it's a good place to work. When I started I was barely 20 and terrified of even walking the halls. I have learned to be a nurse inside those halls, and I have learned from the best. I will always consider it my nursing home.

I am thankful that last Thanksgiving Eve I learned that little Cooper was going to be part of my life. I had such a great year anticipating him, and finally meeting him. He is the best little buddy and I could spend every day all day just home alone with him and never get sick of him. He is very good to us. Although it was an adjustment time and time again, he turned two little newlyweds into a real life family-and he did a very good job.

Last night Shawn and I sat by our half lit Christmas tree and stumbled upon some old videos on my computer that I didn't even know existed. We took them when we were dating and had never even watched them. I was reminded of all the feelings of excitement I had when I was dating him and wondered what life would be like if we never had to part ways. I am grateful everyday that he happily pulled me along and he is here every morning when I start my day.

This year I am leaving my list at that, although there are many other blessings rumbling around in my head I will spare you. I am thankful for good friends, the best families, and another year of health. I am grateful my brother serves our country and that he came home to visit. I am grateful for healthy grandparents who I adore. I am grateful for the examples all around me in the blogging world. I am grateful for all of my blog friends whose lives I love to learn from and keep updated on, and for everyone who shows interest in ours. I have loved reading everyone's grateful posts..there is lots to be thankful for!! Here's to another successful year, whatever success just so happens to mean to you this year.

Happy Happy Thanksgving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment