Friday, November 18, 2011

Just a little favor

To My Cooper Man-
you are very good at making us feel like a million bucks.
Like you think everything we say couldn't be more interesting and entertaining,
Like you can't wait to tell us all the stories from your day
Like you think my hair is so beautiful-my knowingly unbeautiful, thin, pulled back hair. Hair that you just so happen to love.


Do you mind just always wanting to be right in between us
and cuddling in our bed in the morning after breakfast
and taking long walks just me and you??
Do you mind just making dad's day a little better when he walks through the door and you don't take your eyes off him until you go to bed
and you sit on his lap and stare at college football and hold his arm so he doesn't go too far.


How about you sit and watch me make dinner every night for the rest of your life,
and you laugh when I clink the pots and pans and open and close cupboards.

How about you keep cracking your eyes just a tiny bit when I say goodnight to you, making sure that I am not sneaking out the door before you're fully asleep.
It always makes me a little bit happy to see that naptime sleepy eye, even if I would give anything to get some things done.

I'm having this crazy idea that maybe someday you might scoot away from me on the couch, and you might roll your eyes at my jokes. That maybe you might not be home when dad gets off work. Maybe you will tell your friends that I am a teeny bit annoying. When I find out about these things Coop, I'll pull out my little blog book, and I'll point to this page.
I might even sneak back a few pages to show you how excited about you we are.
And I will say, here is all the proof you need my dear. Proof that once upon a time we were very happy being each other's whole world.

And just so you know Coop, that's when you say-oh ya, I almost forgot but now I remember. Mom and Dad you are my whole life still I almost forgot, even though I am fifteen. I still want to cuddle and take long walks and watch you make dinner every night and never leave you guys. You are my perfectly beautiful, wonderfully hilarious, ever-charming parents.

And we will all go to bed happy, just like the good old days. It's just that easy.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley, this brings little tears to my eyes thinking about my baby growing up and things changing! You are too cute and Cooper is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a darling post!!!! you look beautiful and so happy!!

    ReplyDelete