Monday, August 6, 2012

Quite the lady..

I have taken a long hiatus from blogging. Okay, long is a relative term. To me, over a month is long! I like to come here and write about all the happenings in our life, since Cooper's scrapbook is far from finished and my journal looks like it has been thrown in a garbage truck and recovered from dragging it around over the years. Blogs are a wonderful thing!
We have been so busy!!! Summer really is just one of the best times of the year, along with the holidays and fall and parts of spring :) I have lots to catch up on.

FIRST and foremost..On July 3rd we went to my sweet great grandma's funeral. She passed away in Ashton in a rest home. I regret the fact that I didn't know her better. However, everything I remember about her is 100% good. I remember feeling the same regret at my other great grandma's funeral a few years before, and also at Shawn's nana's funeral. I do remember birthday cards in the mail every year up until well into my teens. If anybody else knows how hard it is to actually get a letter to the mailbox..that's quite the accomplishment for all of her grandkids and great grandkids! We listened to stories about her and heard people reflect on how wonderful her life was for the afternoon. I realized that I met her just at the very tail end of a fulfilling life. Look how cute she was!


I sort of wish I had known my great grandma when she was my age making her friends laugh, or that I had been around when she packed my grandpa up for an afternoon outing, just the same way I pack up my Coop. I was not lucky enough to see her house as a young mom, but I heard it was perfectly kept-I didn't taste her breakfast, but I heard it was delicious. I learned that she taught my grandma how to sew, and keep a garden, and keep a cozy house. My grandma taught my mom these things, and my mom has (tried) to teach my sisters and I. Apparently I can thank her for having sore knees from weeding my two rows of the garden, or until a spider was seen and then we all quit. As I was cleaning my bathroom last week, in the specific order my mom taught me, I wondered if my grandma does it the same way, and if it all came from my great grandma-and I was grateful for the family that she started that I eventually was lucky to become a part of.

I know blogs didn't exist back then, but I wished she had kept one. I wish I could read about her day to day life, and about my Grandpa when he was as young and crazy as Cooper. I learned from what she did leave behind that she loved her family, and being the keeper of her own little home, and that was what made her life complete. That is something that I have taken note of the women in my family for. My grandma, my mom, my aunts, and my older sister are all mom's who take such pride in their job. I am grateful that she started us off with a good example of motherhood to follow. Apparently she was quite the lady.





For the past month my mind has been telling me to sit down and blog about the little details we have going on, if only so that someday Cooper's kids will read it and see just a tiny bit about what their great great great grandmother was like. Then they will laugh as they keep reading about how excited Cooper got when he realized he was actually walking on his own with no help, how he was too tired to dig into his cake on his birthday, and how he loved the parade, the sirens, and the fireworks on his first 4th of July. I also need to blog about the cradle I found at a garage sale for Coop's little sister that with a little TLC is going to be very darling. I need to blog about Shawn's final internship and the fact that last night was the first Sunday evening in our whole marriage that we didn't think about preparations for a week of school starting the next morning..and it felt wonderful!

Life is good, there is no better place to document that then right here in this little corner of the web that is ours, and that we are more then happy to share with the people we love. Happy Summer..more updates soon!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your great grandma. She sounds like a sweet lady who left a long-lasting legacy behind!

    ReplyDelete