Thursday, September 15, 2011

My deep dark secrets

Once upon a time I had a few dreams about what it would be like to be the perfect wife. I think I may have posted about it somewhere in my past blogging life. It consisted of perfectly long luscious locks, getting thinner and more beautiful with age (but still making delicious brownies), clean dishes every night, the house smelling like roses every day, fresh flowers on the table, blah blah BLAH. It came partly from my friend Anne (in the book Anne's house of dreams by the way)-she did it all so well.

Don't you worry, my hair is still in a ponytail (and not a long luscious one for the record)-even the bangs are pulled back as I am typing this. I may or may not still have a few baby pounds to lose. However, I must give myself credit-I have almost mastered the clean sink.
I love this lady that I see in my head that I know as "the perfect wife" I am going to keep watching her like a movie in my brain as I get older, and see if I can't learn a thing or two..


After those dreams were so brutally awakened once upon a time by a little something called reality, I developed new, but equally unrealistic dreams (that is usually my style.) Ahh, to be "the perfect mom." This lady has an endless surplus of energy. Her baby is always full, his face is always clean, his clothes always smell like fresh laundry-his skin like that pink bottle of Johnson's baby lotion. His blankets is never left out in the car when he wants it at night. She wakes up happy and ready to run, she goes to sleep after everyone else and feels fulfilled..she has an endless surplus amount of time to cuddle, because her chores are always done and the bills are always paid. I LOVE her. I want to BE her.

However, lets get real. I am not her. And sometimes at the and of the day I think about the million more things I could have done better (I might be slightly a perfectionist at times) I do feel better that she is out of my imagination now and shared with the world. We have spent the past 6 weeks figuring out life for the family of 3. I have tried very hard, I have to be honest. I have ran my little fanny off while Cooper sleeps to shower, beautify myself (which usually includes throwing that hair up in that pony), do the dishes, prepare for dinner, pay a few bills, and be cheery and happy when he wakes up to eat (which for the record I do feed him all day and he is NEVER full).

So I was reading in my journal, which I have improved on keeping the past few months since Cooper joined our team. I found this quote, and I remembered all the sudden who my real role model was once upon a time..this cute perfect little lady.

Because she said this:
“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”


It seems to never get old the more I read it..I could never say it like she does, but she sums up my feelings pretty well. I LOVE her. I want to BE her.


So thanks to this lady, I will continue to kiss both of my best boys on the cheek before bed, and feel fulfilled, despite the fact that our life is not perfect. And I will appreciate all the selfless help received-even if Shawn does enjoy things like a fantasy football draft during babysitting. You better believe we will keep on dreaming :)

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! And of course the perfect wife/mother would have the table set beautifully with coordinating centerpieces and decor ;). My goal is to shower, and anything beyond that is just a plus (Ok, I do get a little more done than that, but seriously, I keep it very manageable so I don't go crazy). Check out Aubrey Barton's (Eppich) blog for a great way to get organized: http://eppichfam.blogspot.com/2011/08/organizing-life.html

    This organization is for when your baby sleeps through the night in a few months and you feel like a normal person again :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley, You don't know me, but I served in the same mission as your hubby and I was one of his fav sister missionaries =) My companion and I always made him yummy treats. I found your blog and I love when you post. You and Shawn are so adorable and baby Cooper is so sweet.

    I love this post because I am somewhat of a perfectionist too and theres not many things I'm actually perfect at--dinners hardly ever done at a decent time, theres always floors to be swept, something to be done, but I love being a wife. Because there is one thing that I can be perfect at and that is loving my hubby! Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Ashley! I hope I can handle this mom thing as well as you do. I'm so so so excited to meet our little boy but all of the sudden i'm starting to freak out a little bit. Your post made me feel like as long as you do the best you can do, then it's all right. I hope all is going well and I miss seeing you every week! Let me know if you need help with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ASh! I just love you and your blog!! Some how everytime I read it I cry either from laughing so hard or just cause! But you are amazing! I want to be you!! Your family is just so adorable.. I want to meet this handsome little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ash I love this. I'm so happy I found your blog again today. I'm totally adding you so I can keep up on your mommy talk. I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete