Monday, February 28, 2011

Brutally honest about Boys.

Lets be honest, anyone who knows me knows the truth...I have always wanted a little girly girl that smells good and minds her manners to dress up and slap a tutu on. We have had her name picked out for years, and her image is engraved in my brain. So..when we found out on Friday that we were having a BOY I was very surprised..and excited..But you have to realize, I had to change gears a little bit. My family is by far outnumbered in the girl to boy ratio so when we get together it's all about girls. Without realizing it, this baby in my head was coming into a pink room with ruffles and bows no matter what the gender. So, I have been thinking lately about my little boy..and the whole weird breed of boys in general.



Boys let loose..when we found out we were having a boy I produced a smile, and maybe a silent tear or two. Shawn jumped up out of his chair yelling "YEAHH that's what I'm talking about!" "I knew it!" I quietly had to urge him back into his chair and remind him that we were in public and other women were in the waiting room. When we got in the car I struck up a conversation about how we need to sometimes be more considerate of others in public. Shawn came back with Who cares, I'm having my BOY..I have to admit, it was a priceless reaction that I won't forget anytime soon.

Boys are innovative..the other day I came home to find my sewing kit and needles out. Shawn came home in his work pants with a long story about how he had sewed a hole that was of course in the crotch area. I examined his work while he was beaming with pride. I found that instead of just sewing the hole shut, he took a button and sewed both sides of the pant to the button. SO when you turn the pants inside out a huge button is just sitting there coming from nowhere. Really?! A few days later he used my decorative smell good candle to scratch up and melt to use for waxing his snowboard to save a few bucks up at the Canyon's. I love the creativity.

Boys are easy going..when something bad happens I have such a hard time flipping a 180 and going on with my day. Shawn on the other hand can't figure out why. Almost every day I watch my boy getting ready and hear whistling from another room, or him laughing at something while he gets ready, he doesn't care if his socks match or if his shoes are worn out. His comeback for everything is come on girl, Life is Good..

Boys.
They make wonderful friends. They chomp their cereal. They have endless energy. They are so different, yet so entertaining. They love girls.


It is the things that they do just because they are who they are..It is the cereal bowl put in the sink as an attempt to make a wife happy, but of course with no water in it to soak. It is the endless energy and the loudest laughter. It is the games that are created with just a simple ball in an attempt to self entertain. It is the worn out face at the end of the day from someone who can't ever seem to sit still until after 11 pm. It is the echo of sports center that never ever ever gets old to a sports fan no matter how many times the same stories are on. It's swimsuit confidence no matter what, all year round. It's drama free, it's being friends with everyone no matter who they are, where they came from, what they wear, or if they are nice to you or not. It's grass stains on nice clothes, and little tan lines from baseball gloves on my patients at the hospital. It's a good soft heart, that just takes a while to find.

Boys definitely have their strong points. This weekend we went to Park City and while we were there we walked around the outlets looking at a few outfits for our little boy. It is in Park City that I kicked the bows and dresses officially out of my brain, and turned whole heartedly to the basketball shorts and ball caps..with a little help from Shawn. Shawn made me promise the weekend we found out I was pregnant that if it was a boy he would pick out the outfit for his first real day of life outside the hospital. And so on Friday our search began and nothing was quite up to par..Shawn has pride in his soon to be son, and it has rubbed off on me.



I'm already obsessed with everything about the one boy that I have. We will be the parents of our baby boy come a few short months..after all my careful consideration about the opposite sex..it is with wide open arms that I say WELCOME to our fam, and welcome to team Allen tough little boy..let's kick our feet up..I'm hoping and praying like father like son.

12 comments:

  1. Yay for boys!! Having boys seems to be the trend these days! You are very good with words I must say. So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS! So excited for you two--babies are great, and boys are so much fun. You'll be great Ash! Hope you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hubby's reaction. Priceless!

    Haha, I'm feeling the same way. Deep down I was expecting a girl, but each day I'm getting more excited! Even though when I went to Target and saw all the new dresses and realized thats not what I'm shopping for anymore, I turned around and realized I had one rack to choose from. I started crying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is my favorite post of yours so far. I don't think you even realize how EXCITED I am to have another nephew! He is going to be cuter than ever, I know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was the cutest post I have ever read!!! I am so excited for you!!! He is going to be one cute little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley- I am going to have to agree... you are fantastic with words! What a great post! And I loved the reaction at the Dr.'s office! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are so cute and I really saw you with a girl too! You will be the cute mom that goes to all of his games. Maybe we will have to hook up my girl and your boy! I thought for sure I was having a boy this time and it was a girl. I have seen a lot of cute boy outfits lately. You just have to find the right store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah!!! I totally know how you feel about wanting a girly girl and doing all that kind of stuff. When I was pregnant with Carrie I was all excited about having a girl and couldn't imagine having a boy. I was working in the NICU and I went several weeks where I had the same 3 little boys every shift. They quickly became MY boys. I loved it!

    I had a "light bulb" moment where I suddenly knew that having a boy of my own would be totally awesome! You won't even be able to fathom how much you can love your little boy! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ash, I was the same way. Before we found out Dax was a boy I swear he was a girl. I wanted the pink fluffy, ruffly, frilly girlie stuff. Even when I found he was a boy I caught myself MULTIPLE times looking at pink stuff & girl clothes.. Now, I can't take my eye off little boy stuff. It will kick in. Give it time!! BTW- Congrats boys are the greatest. (They LOVE their Mama's)
    -Paige Poulsen Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh I was laughing so hard about the pants and the button I had tears in my eyes! Ive been brutally outnumbered by boys my whole life, I hoped for a girl at first too, but now I couldn't be more grateful for Kai! Nothing is more rewarding than watching your husband and son interact. And, if you look hard enough you can find cute boy clothes as well ;-) Congrats! Life is about to become even more AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I had no idea you and Shawn have a child on the way! That is wonderful! You are going to be the best parents ever! Maybe there can be some pink ruffles hiding somewhere in his room...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are going to love having a boy first. Then his little sisters will be safe and protected... always. They'll have their big brother.

    They are much less maintenance. And they are cheaper, too. :)

    ReplyDelete