Monday, April 12, 2010

Lake Havasu

Shawn and I packed up the car this weekend and went to Lake Havasu. We have gotten very good at packing and unpacking the car lately. I am excited to have just a few calm weekends at home coming up--I have always loved being home. Lake Havasu was so beautiful this time of year..Shawn's mom and I ran a half marathon on Saturday morning. It wasn't pretty..but we finished!

I am so grateful to have ran with her. Something about having a mom by my side made me feel like life was okay and the world was good no matter what. I am more proud of her then I am of myself! She has five kids, she is 48 (oops) and she ran 13 miles. She is awesome and I love her.

At mile 10 Shawn was on the corner and I didn't even see him. That's when the run was getting hard and the sun was coming out. I have never been so happy to see his huge smile, and his bright blue eyes that I love so much. He threw his arm around me for a sec and ran with me for just long enough to keep me going for the next few miles. When I crossed the finish line he yelled loud and clear "Number ten's my wife!" and I realized I am so lucky to have him as my number one fan. He drove seven hours both ways and never even considers letting me drive. He stopped every hour on the way home to let me move my legs and go to the bathroom (and usually get a treat). He is the greatest. Next time he BETTER be running with me. It would be way easier for him that's for sure.



I only ran ten or eleven miles when I trained so at mile 12 I decided I wanted to to shoot myself. I came to a dead halt in front of the mile marker sign and just looked at like are you kidding me?? A lady with a bald head grabbed my arm, she was wearing a shirt that proudly sported the pink breast cancer ribbon. She told me I would not stop, and I would not walk the last mile. She was just what I needed. I lost her somewhere throughout that last mile, but I am grateful she stepped in when she did. I thought the last mile about her, and about how grateful I am to have the means to run. I have seen too many patients who don't have the strength to walk to the door and back. So I realized, I am very grateful for my family, I am very grateful for my number one fan, and I am very grateful for my health and the fact that I am able to run..even if my time is not great. Even if I don't lose a million pounds. Even if I don't look fantastic at the finish line.

11 comments:

  1. Ashley you are awesome! And um you look gorgeous at the finish line...I don't know how you do it. Congrats though that is such a great accomplishment! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ash that is so awesome! way to go, i bet that was fun to run and it's very cool to say you have done a half marathon.. wow! I couldn't help but laugh as I read about you running 13 miles thinking about our junior high days barely making it to the end of your road and back haha so i am very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved running with you Ashley! When I tell people that I ran with my daughter-in-law they are impressed that you would run with your mother-in-law! Thank you for all your kind words and for helping me stay motivated and for driving so far to run. You're the best!Love you and am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of both of you!! That is a huge accomplishment, you go girls!! The last time I even ran a mile was in Jr. High. Love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ash I am just so proud of you.. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed! I wish I couldve done it with you too! MAybe some day... Way to go on running the whole thing! I love your purple shirt. You really do look so cute for just having ran that far!

    oh to be able to run again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. well you look fantastic at the finish line to me! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You. Are. Awesome. I had a New Years goal to do some kind of "run" this year, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it to a half marathon! You're super cute too! You're cuter after 13 miles than I would be after 2 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ash it was good to read this, you have such a big heart and a great perspective of what really matters! Of course you did it, you do hard things and you do them smiling! Way to go. Sure love ya!
    Oh and Shawn sounds like a really neat guy, you guys are lucky to have each other, ah the beauty of marriage:)-to your BF, love, and biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Ash, way to go! I've always wanted to run a marathon of some sort, just to say I did it. The only problem is that I hate running. Plus, with this baby fat on me now..... that doesn't sound too fun ha. How cute of your husband to yell for you :) Eth has seen me play basketball, volleyball, and softball and I can always hear him yelling louder than anyone else. I love it!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete