Monday, September 28, 2009

Country Roots

This post includes the reasons that I believe my Rexburg-may I even say the word "BURTON" roots run straight to my core. Although I drive everyday on freeways that terrify me because they have so many lanes..and arrive at work in a hospital that is right smack in downtown Salt Lake-which likely has more buildings then all of Southeast Idaho, this is the way I have been spending my free time.
Over Labor Day weekend we decided to go camping with Jaimee and Tyler. Their job was to get the food while Shawn and I found that perfect spot. I believe that was mistake number one. Why would any of us ever select Shawn and I for that job?? I really don't know. Fortunately, Shawn and I found that glorious perfect spot. Jaimee and Tyler arrived and we couldn't wait to show it off in all our pride and excitement. here are a few pics of campsite number ONE...
Keep in mind as you look that that manly man looking for firewood is the new varsity scout leader/teachers quorum advisor in our ward..haha :)


Right when our lives seemed as if they couldn't get any better..and our tummys were full with roasted hot dogs and smores we see the beam of a flashlight coming from a cop. Pretty quickly we were putting all of our stuff away, and moving it all to a different campsite..and paying a $120 dollar ticket. How annoying!! We honestly didn't see any NO camping signs..I have to admit I haven't felt more Idaho then when I saw that cop. What is it with campfires--they ALWAYS seem to get shut down..Here are the pics from our NEW campsite, trust me our night was not ruined..Although we realize we could have stayed in a hilton hotel for the price of our ticket and our new campsite..we had so much fun with Jaimee and Tyler and are so lucky to have them close by.



The next weekend Shawn and I ventured to Brad Paisley and Dierks Bentley..even in the rain. The song "Then" by Brad Paisley was one of the songs on our wedding DVD..and it pretty much makes me tear up everytime I hear it. Shawn has never been a country fan..but little by little he is learning to love it I just know it. I have heard him humming a few country songs not meaning too and I secretly love that he is coming around although he denies it..He had to get our tickets from the Harley Davidson store..I wish I could have seen him in there with all the motorcycle junkies-he was clearly out of his element but im glad he got our tickets.
Last but not least-This past weekend we went to Idaho for mine and Abby's birthdays. All I wanted to do was GO TO IDAHO for my birthday which finishes my proving a point. We went to my grandmas and had a barbecue and rode four wheelers..I was in heaven. I guess it's truth- you can take the girl out of the country..but apparently the country never leaves the girl..And honestly I don't really mind. There's something about the smell of a campfire..or the sound of a fourwheeler..or the leaves turning colors..or kids getting on a bus for the first day of school..that take me right back to where I started..good old Rexburg..and all the friends and family that come with it.






Did I mention before all of that we hit the Idaho State Fair?? I haven't missed one year--I love that place.
**Also, we watched Emily play volleyball..I must admit she is amazing I also must admit and come to accept that she definitely does not in any way shape or form get her skills from me..that may shock a few of you who were once upon a time my teammates.

7 comments:

  1. HAHA! Ashley you are so cute! I just had to tell you that! AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY (belated) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ash, what a wonderful post. I have so many things to say. First, 4-wheeler... Do you remember when I wrecked your moped into the trees? Second, Pat and I want to live in Burton/Hibbard area forever as soon as we can make money haha. Third, I'm glad you are still the same, great campsite, ha it's a believable mistake. Fourth- I'm sure your sis did get her skills from you, I mean c'mon you really were my all time setter, who else would write in a journal and share PB& J sandwhiches? Hope you had the best B-day ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss idaho too :( :( :( a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I miss Rexburg so so much!! I am jealous you got to go up there I want to like every weekend but that doesn't happen! And I know what ya mean about the freeway I HATE it! I freak out every single time I have to go on it so I always make Brek drive!! I am glad you had a good birthday! It always is better when you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ash, you are too funny, I don't know that we had any happenings with the four wheeler but snow machines on the other hand.. :) I couldn't help but laugh as I thought about us running in our snow boots leaving the snow machine as it was sinking further and further into the icy river!haha wow, I'm glad you had a good birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post just made me laugh the whole way through! Seriously...I am going to talk you & Shawn into moving to Snowflake with us someday. And maybe we could convince all of your family and friends to move there too. :) Oh, and I loved the story about the camping ticket...hilarious. Kylee misses you by the way!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay for emily playing volleyball. you should encourage her to go play in collge. it is totally worth it. :) so glad to see your doing great cuz! love you guys!

    ReplyDelete