Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Feelin the Love

Last weekend the unheard of happened.
Shawn cut out early from work.

We took a little roadtrip up to Idaho. Remember those roadtrips I always proclaimed my love for on this blog? This was just like those good ol roadtrip days, only instead of having my head on my best friend's shoulder I was banging my head against the window from Coop screaming. just kidding. Coop was actually an angel-but I was in the back on book duty, giving treats, and giving him his frog foot to chew on.

Our destination-grandma's house to unload little Coop. We were heading out for date night in Idaho falls, complete with a swimming sleepover. Seriously!

Who knew little old Edwards theatre and little old Idaho Falls could put such butterflies of excitement in my stomach!! It felt like I was going to the ocean or something. Dinner and a movie haven't been a part of our social life since about seven months ago..not even once people! I pretended I was working a night shift, and I kissed my little Coop goodbye knowing he was in good hands at grandmas. We drove to Idaho Falls and it started raining on our way. The air smelled of delicious Idaho country-ness. We had a grand old time. I kept looking at Shawn thinking, it has been wayy too long my friend, since me and you hit the town. Although we see each other everyday there really is nothing like getting fancied up for a little one on one time. It's quite the thing, this thing called marriage that gives you a permanent BFF.
We ate some Mexican food, we went to the Vow, we got some milk shakes, and we did the last thing we felt like doing after all that food and we suited up for the pool. We laughed at things that weren't even funny, and we pretended we were back in Provo, just two little Allen kiddos going on a care free date with someone they love. It was one of my favorite nights we have probably ever had, mostly because I realized how much I had taken for granted the fun times we have together.
Until we got in the pool. I was in the hot tub trying to stay warm, and Shawn was having a few second of five year old time in the other pool before joining me. We were the only two in the whole place. We started discussing from one pool to the other about how much Coop would love to stick his fat little feet in this water. And that was it. The kiss of death, our bubble was popped. We tried to push that thought immediately away but it was too late. Our plan of sleeping in and enjoying every last moment of late checkout, ended up becoming a six am pillow chat about how fast we could get dressed, eat the free breakfast (couldn't miss that) and head home without feeling like crazy people walking through my mom's door. We were on the freeway headed home before 8.

Needless to say, we missed Coop more then he missed us. Lesson number one for the weekend-date nights with my boy are still the best, and somehow we need to make them happen more often. Lesson number two, bringing Coop in our bed at 6:30 and begging for just another five minutes of family cuddle time is tied or maybe one step ahead as the other best. Crazy how incomplete we feel without that little loud breather wiggling around in between us wherever we go. We all agreed when we got home, an early morning bed for three never felt so good. We speak for Coop here.

Our actual vday was low key. Shawn got home from his lab at eight. I spent the majority of my day reminding my other boy that despite what he thinks someday, I was his very first Valentine. HE thinks he is soo cool trying to walk himself along the couch.


I drilled it into his brain and gave him a valentine to show him when he is twenty. It was a simple day filled with the things I love. Good treats, Good people, Good tv and a warm blanket to cuddle with on the couch. Not quite up to par with my mom's valentines, but it's my first year as a valentine's mom, I have lots of years to learn!

Happy day of love from our little cozy home to your much more modern, built this century, bathroom counter big enough for your straightener home :)

p.s. we aren't the biggest vday gift people, but I did finish my wedding book online after only about three years of working on it..and Shawn gave me a pretty little necklace with a C engraved in it. Bet you can't guess what the C is for!

7 comments:

  1. You're such a great writer Ash. I love the updates on all of you. It makes me feel like we don't live quite so far apart. Love all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously can't get enough of Cooper! Ah, I love his little cheeks! Glad you guys had a fun trip in Idaho, I bet your mom was thrilled to have him for a night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley you darling thing you. You seriously have such a way with telling stories. I love reading your updates, they are so entertaining to read because you write so well.
    Your little boy is adorable! As are you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun!! I love that that night was your first date in 7 months, shows how much you love your lil guy where you can't leave him...we tried the movies once but when we got to the babysitters (my sisters) I couldn't do it!! Hopefully by the time he's Coopers age we'll be ready! Love your adorable lil family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley! I can hear your voice as I'm reading your blog and I miss you! Now that we are worlds apart I can't say we will be running into you any time soon but I WISH we would be! Coop is to DIE for. xoxo love and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got a few hours for a date night even if it ended a little early :). He is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha ha oh my gosh you are so so funny! So my mom and I were blog snooping the other day and of course yours was on the list.. mom: "oh she is so cute and look at that cute little boy---Cooper??!! what a cute name!" sammi: "yes ashley and I met on a date and had a great too few double's (minus ashley's date). Ashely and I would have loved to go on dates!!" it made me miss you and remember the great friends that we were...instantly really. Anyway, hope life is so so good!! and i would love if you ever wanted to come to southern california. i have a room all ready for you! Complete with air mattress, sheets, a light, a babysitter even and a free driver to the beach?? tempting?? yes i'm bribing you to come visit. xoxoxox think about it:)

    ReplyDelete